So you have passed your Basic Theory Test, and Final Theory Test at one of the 3 driving schools in Singapore, taken your lessons and now are finally ready for you Singapore driving test.
Excited? Sure you will be. But perhaps, for most of you, nervousness would be part of your emotions as well.
Here are some of the best tips to help you calm down before the practical driving examination.
1) Drink warm water (NOT cold water) before your examination. Around 3/4 cup of it would be good. Somehow when you stay warm, you feel less nervous.
2) If you have really bad sweaty palms, you can go to the bowling alley and purchase from the store a puff ball. Basically, you powder your hand with powder but it goes through the cloth fabric of the ball so it is not too much but sufficient to keep your hands very very slightly moist (or rather, naturally feeling instead of perspiring)
3) Try to take a lesson before the exam, and treat that as the exam. When I did that, I actually was much more nervous during the lesson, and when it came to the exam, it felt super simple.
4) Believe you’re meant to pass. You got it. Just do it.
5) Know that the driving tester from the traffic police department will keep tapping at his or her iPad screen and that does not meant that you are making mistakes or doing something right. He or she is usually simply ticking a check list for you as you go through your driving test.
6) Always wear comfortable clothing – do not wear pants which would make you feel uncomfortable and do not wear clothes which would restrict your movement.
7) Always wear your best pair of spectacles if you have more than one and make sure to bring along your eye drops if you wear contact lenses.
If you are looking to pass your practical driving exam in Singapore, you will probably need to pass your BTT and FTT first. Although you could technically apply for a valid provisional driving license after passing your basic theory driving test and start taking driving lessons, take note that your PDL will only last for 6 months and because waiting for the practical Singapore traffic police driving test takes about 1 to 2 months from booking, This means that you definitely need to pass your final theory test and practical driving test in Singapore on your very first attempt for both or you would need to renew your PDL. Of course, it is also highly likely you can achieve that if you study and memorize the details for the final theory test and take driving lessons from a good private driving instructor Singapore.
After that you need to get your PDL and then look for a qualified driving instructor. But how should you decide on one and should you get a school one or a private one?
First of all, private driving instructor Singapore are definitely much more experienced than the instructors at schools because they have hands-on experience for mostly more than 20 to 30 years. They thus have lots of experience and their own teaching style for driving as well.
Secondly, private driving teachers usually are less structured (generally speaking) and may or may not have a structured curriculum and some of them go with sheer experience. If you prefer a structured manner, then schools would be the better choice for you.
Prices are definitely much cheaper for private. Even the most expensive private tutors are way cheaper than a regular school tutor.
Priority and speed in booking for the exam is given to school students, other students might have to usually wait longer for their exam slot to take place.